Chapter Fourteen – Example Final Exams
Several thinkers we have read this semester write about a new consciousness or a new way of being. Anzaldúa theorizes on alien/mestiza/borderlands consciousness, Guevara on the new man and the new woman, the Zapatistas created a whole new world where many worlds fit. As you define these concepts, explain how these new subjectivities (or identities) are created, that is to say, how do we become a new man/woman, how do we develop a Mestiza consciousness? In doing so, make connections between these concepts and processes.
The following prompts and questions should be used as steps to help you write a 4,000- word essay. Please make sure you address all of them.
- Explain the concept of mestiza in Anzaldua. See Gloria Anzaldua Takeaways in STPEC’s book in Moodle
- Explain Che Guevara’s concept of a new man and a new woman. See info on Che Guevara in STPEC’s book in Moodle
- Explain the Zapatista’s subjectivity, explained in STPEC’s book in Moodle
- What qualifies these subjectivities as ‘new’ and what does each seek to overcome, transform, and/or metamorphosize?
- Are these processes individual, collective, or both?
- How do they affect social change?
- How do these new subjectivities fit into conceptions of a ‘new’ world/society in Guevara’s socialism and the Zapatistas’ autonomism?
- Drawing from your analysis, explain your own vision for a new way of being.
Your presentation needs to have an introduction, a body where you draw your argument and present evidence, quotes, and examples, and a conclusion.
Explain the concepts that will help you present your vision and tell us how you are going to prove your points.
Explain your theories and examples clearly. Develop the ideas that you have introduced earlier. Remember to tie your examples with your author’s concepts or ideas and use quotes appropriately. Quotes need to always be explained in your own words.
Bring it all together. Briefly recap concepts and examples or illustrations to explain how all of the above ties in with your life and vision for a better world.